Friday, February 12, 2016

Jenny's Book 2.16: The Checklist Manifesto

Kelly,

I've been reading lots of fiction for the Tournament of Books (so far I've read 8 of the 17), so I mightThe Checklist Manifesto is by Atul Gawande, a doctor who also writes for The New Yorker. I know I've suggested his book Being Mortal to you.
take a break and read a little non-fiction. And this isn't even the type of narrative non-fiction that I like to read that teaches history through a story.

I bought this book for a grad school class but ended up reading something else instead of it. This book makes a case for why using checklists can help us deal with the complexity of our modern lives. Certainly I know checklists are helpful for my students (there's even a checklist maker app my friend Andrea uses called Checkli). However, I'm sort of curious to see if the idea of using checklists is applicable to teaching or curriculum design.

At one point, I did read a critique of checklists in education, but I can't find it right now. I remember the book it was in, but I'm pretty sure it's at school.

Not sure it will be a super exciting read, but I think it's going to be just the thing I need after A Little Life. In fact, I've been mostly reading trashy romances about Russian Billionaires after A Little Life. Seriously. I just need a break from all that drama.


xoxo,
Jenny

No comments:

Post a Comment