Thursday, January 6, 2011

Our books for 2011

Here we go! These are the books that Jenny and Kelly will be reading in 2011...

Here is a screen cap of the books Jenny has chosen:

(click to see that bigger)

In alphabetical order, they are:
  1. Amsterdam by Ian McEwan (Completed 2/11/11)
  2. Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee by Dee Brown (completed 9/17/11)
  3. The Known World by Edward P. Jones
  4. Love by Toni Morrison (completed 10/1/11)
  5. The March by E. L. Doctorow
  6. The Namesakeby Jhumpa Lahiri (Completed 1/14/11)
  7. Nature's Metropolis: Chicago and the Great West by William Cronon (completed 4/23/11)
  8. Oracle Bones by Peter Hessler (Completed 2/5/11)
  9. The Plague of Doves by Louise Erdrich (Completed 7/12/11)
  10. The Post-Birthday World by Lionel Shriver (completed 12/26/11)
  11. Seeing by José Saramago (completed 10/29/11)
  12. The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien (Completed 5/21/11)
  13. Traffic by Tom Vanderbilt (Completed 11/24/11)
  14. The Unlikely Spy by Daniel Silva (Completed 6/25/11)
And here are the books Kelly has chosen:

(click to see that bigger)In alphabetical order, they are:
  1. Ascending Peculiarity by Edward Gorey (Completed 12/13/11)
  2. The Book of Vice by Peter Sagal (Completed 11/22/11)
  3. Double Fold by Nicholson Baker
  4. Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom by Cory Doctorow (Completed 8/15/11)
  5. The Firemaster's Mistress by Christie Dickason (Completed 6/17/11)
  6. Four Spirits by Sena Jeter Naslund
  7. Freakonomics by Steven D. Levitt and Stephen J. Dubner (Completed 12/28/11)
  8. Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel García Márquez (Completed 04/22/11)
  9. The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov (Completed 8/13/11)
  10. The Richest Man in Babylon by George S. Clason (Completed 1/28/11)
  11. The Screwtape Letters by C. S. Lewis (Completed 3/25/11)
  12. The Sea-Wolf by Jack London (Completed 9/30/11)
  13. Tess of the d'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy (Completed 2/27/11)
  14. The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami (Completed 5/22/11)
We each have 14 books on our shelves -- 12 months, plus two alternatives, just in case we cannot bear to get through a couple of them. We will then write about them on this here blog.

This challenge is inspired by the 2011 TBR Pile Challenge at Roof Beam Reader -- thanks for lighting a fire under our butts.

Let's get readin'!

(Screen shots from shelfari, which apparently feels a great need to indicate which books are "NEW" to your shelf. O-kay.)

11 comments:

  1. Have you decided which ones are your "alternates"?

    I think mine are going to be The March and Love, but I don't know if it matters, does it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think when I threw The Firemaster's Mistress in here, I chose it as an alternate. It looks fluffy and I'm pretty sure I'm going to like it, so I think it will be a good salve if I need to bail on something bad. :)

    Other than that, I think I'll just work through them at my whim and perhaps pick the "next" book (wherever I am then) as an alternate if I need one. Meanwhile, I almost never stop reading a book, even if I hate it (which I kind of hate about myself...) Perhaps the "alternate" option would help me with that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, Ladies -

    Thanks for taking the challenge with us! You both have interesting lists - I'm looking forward to watching your progress and reading all the reviews. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm pretty impressed with this Adam character for running, arranging, and keeping up with everyone. I know that this makes me the ultimate dork---but I'm pretty excited about this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. K,

    I like what you're doing with the strikethru and the dates on our lists!

    J

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can't take credit for the idea, as it was the format suggested at Roof Beam Reader. But it's been oh-so-satisfying to cross items off of the list! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi! I'm doing the challenge too. You guys have very interesting lists! So far, you guys are doing better than I am at crossing books off your list!

    http://laughingfoureyes.tumblr.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm really glad to see this progress! I'm at 5 of 12, so 1 book behind - but I still have 10 more days in June to get caught up.

    I'm also glad to see that you're keeping your list posted and updated. You're going to be very happy that you've done this, when you stop by my blog next week and check out the "Giveaways" section. Just saying. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're both almost there!! Finish strong - an awful lot of people are getting close (or not so close) but not quite making it. That means there's a $50 prize to win, with fewer peoples' names on it! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the encouragement, Adam. I've slowed down these past two months, but I'm just about finished with November's book and am hoping to burn through December's before the deadline... I've got a couple of weeks, so here's hoping!

    Meanwhile, I know Jenny will nail it. She's a super-fast reader and she never backs down from a challenge, so you can definitely count her in.

    Next year, I think I'll save the *shortest* book for December. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, saving the shortest book for December does seem like a great idea. One that we should have thought of before December! What was I thinking?

    ReplyDelete