Saturday, December 17, 2016

Homestretch, baby

Kelly,

As we round the corner into the New Year, I offer this as a little incentive. Lol.



Okay, I've been thinking about the template idea, and I actually like the way the 8th grade teachers frame things for their students, which is with framing questions. 

This first set of questions (you don't have to do them all) are summary and overall critique.
Give a quick overview of the characters and plot. 
Why did you pick this book? 
What it is like to be in the “world” of this book? 
How did you feel while reading this book?
What’s something you thought the book did really well? How was it accomplished?
What is one thing that needs improvement in the book?

Pick one or maybe two. Provide at least one quote/sample of the text to illustrate your idea. 
Any symbolism­ in the text that you found meaningful?
What is the structure of novel: ­how is the plot built?
Writing style­: Is the writing style simple or complex? How does this affect the story? 
Point of view­: Who is the narrator? How does that impact your understanding of character?
Tone/Mood/Theme: what is the author's attitude toward the subject of the book and the emotions that surround the story? 

Thoughts? 

Last thought--what do you think of the Book Riot Read Harder Challenge? Here's what I like about this format: it seems more forward thinking in that we'd be searching for books that fit the criteria rather than the TBR pile, which is often about looking backwards? I don't know. Maybe we can narrow or make our own list?

Jenny

2 comments:

  1. I like these questions. I think it would certainly help me to have these questions in mind *before* I start reading vs. I usually finish the book and then think "Well, NOW what am I going to say?" Let's try it out for the next couple of books and see how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also LOLOL at that tweet. Exaaaaactly.

    ReplyDelete