Saturday, August 13, 2011

Kelly's Book 8: Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom

Dear Jenny,

As I am starting this book late in the month, I am choosing the shortest book left on the TBR pile in hopes that I'll be able to finish it before the month is over. (Fingers crossed!)

This is another book I picked up on the book recycling shelf at work. I hardly know anything about it, except that it's Cory Doctorow's first novel. And the only things I know about Cory Doctorow are from reading BoingBoing.

Sooo... this one's almost a total shot in the dark. Other than the author, I know: it's science fiction, set in the future, and I've heard good things about it. That is the total sum of my knowledge of this book.

I rarely read books that I know almost nothing about. We'll see how it turns out for me. ;)

love,
kelly

4 comments:

  1. K,

    Several things:

    1) Great Gigi is hanging in there. I'll text you.

    2) I went to Disney this week and HATED it with a fiery passion. Please see my FB for details.

    3) Cory Doctorow is responsible for one of my favorite YA novels ever, a real gem titled "Little Brother."

    4) I'm downloading this and going to read it, too. I left "Bury My Heart" at home thinking I could pick it up when I got back. Looks like I'll be here all week and reading what you're reading will make me feel closer to you, which sounds pretty great right now.

    Love, love, love,
    J

    ReplyDelete
  2. K,

    One of the awesome things about Cory Doctorow is that he usually posts all of his books for free on his website. Seriously, it's amazing.

    Being that I am emotionally drained, it's feeling overwhelming to figure out how to download it for free. So, do I pay the $10 out of sheer laziness, therefore rewarding one of my favorite authors? Or do I spend mental energy on figuring out how to download the file and get in on my Kindle?

    Either way, as Darrell and I like to say: first world problems.

    I really miss you.
    J

    ReplyDelete
  3. K,

    So I downloaded it for free and put in on my Kindle. Turns out it was really easy to do. Thank you Drag-And-Drop!

    J

    ReplyDelete
  4. Discovering this series of comments this morning is making me chuckle. I considered downloading the book for portability and then I started reading it... and finished in one day.

    This one won't keep you busy for very long if it only took me one day! But it was entertaining... I'll post my review tonight.

    Meanwhile, it's good for me that it went so quickly because I've two other books lined up right now: Life with My Sister Madonna (which I will put in the mail to you directly after I finish) and Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, which is a book that seems to be popping up everywhere I look -- have you read it? Everyone describes it as "engrossing," so it might be a good one for you to get into right now (because you'll be done with Magic Kingdom very soon... possibly before I finish writing this comment!)

    ReplyDelete