Thursday, September 27, 2012

Jenny's Book 9.12: The Blind Assassin

Kelly,

I thought I'd read Cutting for Stone this month, but I ended up picking up The Blind Assassin instead. You may be wondering why I changed my mind. Well, one night Darius and I were reading together and I was too lazy to go downstairs and get Cutting for Stone and so I picked up The Blind Assassin instead. Darius said, "Hey, why are you reading a book about a blind Asian?"

Heh.

So far so good, I'm about 60 pages in. This book was part of the 1book140 characters series at the Atlantic. It's where they sponsor an online book discussion on Twitter. This sounds very annoying to me, but I did read this totally kick-ass blog entry on just the first line of the book. I personally am not much of a Twitter person. It's one of those tech things I just "don't get." I mean, I technically get how it works and why people use it, but I personally don't enjoy using it. I can't even imagine being in a Twitter book club. It just sounds awful.

I don't remember when or why I bought this book. I'm sure it was just that I like Margaret Atwood.  I think The Handmaid's Tale is one of the most astounding books I've ever read. Actually, now that I've grabbed an image, I also am going to guess I picked it up since it won The Booker Prize.

Jenny

2 comments:

  1. I have read this book but literally remember nothing about it. I just looked at the synopsis on wikipedia... it jogged zero memories for me but made me say, "Gosh! That sounds like a great book!" Heh.

    Also... the analysis of the first line? Loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know. That guy is all aces. I love that kind of stuff---it's why I became an English teacher!

    ReplyDelete