Saturday, January 19, 2013

Zombies, Run!

Kelly,

We've talked a lot about the audiobook experience vs. the reading experience. Although you are a more faithful listener to audiobooks, I know we both agree on their greatness. I've never quite understood the "it's cheating" argument when it comes to audiobooks. Stories were an oral medium for thousands of years! There's nothing better than being swept away by a good story.

That leads me to the genius of the Zombies, Run! app. Unlike Swamplandia!, here's a title that deserves its exclamation point. As you know, I've taken up jogging in my new quest to be in shape. I can't really say running because I'm pretty slow, but I've come to enjoy it as an activity, and I never thought that would happen.

However, because it's dark early and because I don't think it's a good idea to run in my neighborhood when it's dark, I do most of my running on our treadmill. I didn't actually know until recently that some runners look down on treadmill running, but for me it's perfect. But to be honest, treadmill running is pretty boring. I definitely see the appeal of running outside--at least the scenery changes! I've found that if I put my iPad in front of me with an action movie, it helps my workout go by faster.

A Facebook friend recommended I check out an app called Zombies, Run! Kelly, this thing is genius. It's a story that integrates with your music playlists. The story starts as a helicopter crash lands in a zombie infested territory outside of Abel Township, which is protected area. The Township relies of various runners to distract the zombies or run for supplies. The people in Abel Township dub you Runner Five. As you're working out, you hear various narrators---doctors, radio operators, other runners---telling Runner Five about the surrounding areas. Each mission is about 30 minutes long and each time more and more of the story unfolds. Interspersed between narrators, it will play songs from iTunes.

As I've run, I've thought a lot about what we've talked about with audiobooks. I can't wait to get on the treadmill and run another mission and see what's going to happen to Runner Five next. It's a hoot. The only problem is that apparently it's a lot better when you do run outside and it can track you using the GPS. I think every once in a while, it sends a zombie horde after you and they yell, "RUN!" and you have to run faster. Although I've set it up so that it knows I'm running on a treadmill, it obviously doesn't quite recognize my speed. I don't really care, because I'm in it for the story. Knowing I can't find out what happens next until I exercise is a great incentive!

It's 45 and semi-sunny out today. I might try to run outside today just to see what it's like. It's too bad they don't have Zombies, Bike! because this is the best app ever: a story that gets you to exercise.

Jenny


1 comment:

  1. I've heard of this but didn't fully understand what was happening -- your description of it makes it sound *way* more interesting than what I had heard before. :) Of course, I would need "Zombies, Bike!" (or "Zombies, Walk!") (Which just made me giggle...)

    A good audiobook can definitely get me off of my butt: "Can't wait to walk more/get on the bike again to see what happens next!" (In fact, Gone Girl helped me walk a couple of extra miles last week!)

    ReplyDelete