Here are some random book-ish thoughts I have had lately, in no particularly order (although, for whatever reason, I have chosen to number them...)
1. Thanks for recommending Americanah to me -- I'm listening to the aBook right now. The story is great and the narrator is fantastic. Win! (BTW, that's a Goodreads link and the reviews are an interesting mix. This 1 star review at the very top right now is especially fascinating. I see her point, but I totally don't feel that way when reading the book at all.)
2. Big news: I recently abandoned a book! I was listening to it, it wasn't that interesting, my loan was expiring and... I let it go. I am so proud of myself -- this is my first ever intentionally abandoned book. Aaaand... I have abandoned it so successfully, I cannot even remember what it was! (And I'm not going to try... go away!) Aren't you proud of me?
3. I'm curious... how do you and/or other middle school teachers feel
about this latest shocker-book, Tampa? I feel like I am seeing it
everywhere and it just sounds revolting. The topic could be
interesting but the over-the-top graphic sex descriptions sound atrocious. Have you read it? Know anyone who has? (And, when I heard
about this book, I thought, "Please, please, please do not be in the
Tournament of Books this year...") Bonus (semi-related) question: Have you ever read Lolita? And bonus (totally related) news topic... a teacher near Tampa was recently found guilty of similar actions. (Ugh.)
4. Speaking of the ToB... as the year comes to a close, I feel more
and more like, "Eep! I should be figuring out what might be in the ToB
this year! Eep!" Last year, I happened to have read several of the books before it came around (seriously -- a coincidence).
But if I have not pre-loaded for it, I won't be able to keep pace like
I did last year... I've been following the talk on the Rooster! Goodreads group, but that hasn't
been all that helpful... seems like most people are talking up books they've liked, but there are a lot of books getting thrown out there. I know there are big prizes coming up which
should help pare down the list, but the outliers... oof. I am nervous.
5. Also ToB related... every time I hear the name "David Foster Wallace," I think,
"Drink!" That's a powerful Pavlovian response there. ;)
6. I completely spaced on reading my TBR book for September (!!!) and
now my final list of books are all long ones... I have a feeling it's
going to be page-count-for-the-rest-of-the-year for me. (Ha -- looking back on that post, it was just about 1 year ago [Sept 21, 2012] and I had far more books/pages to read to complete the year. Sooo... I'm still ahead of where I was last year at this time!)
7. I have just realized I never posted my completed review of my August book. Crap. Okay. Gotta finish that too. Sooo... how are you doing on your TBR list?